Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Wanted Free or Cheap!



 Wanted Free or Cheap: has invaded.  Every time I browse through the sell groups on Facebook I see it.  Now there are times when I would put cheap.  I'm not one to spend more then I have to.  The problem is that people are looking for animals for free or cheap. 

Its a pet peeve of mine.  It takes about one bag of feed to raise a hen to laying age.  Depending on the brand you are spending from $12-$20.  So no laying hens are not cheap.  Then you add the time you have put into taking care of them.  For me that is about 20 minutes a day.  Caring for chicks takes more time, if you want friendly hens you must spend time with them.  I'm not going to count those hours.  So in three day's time I have put in an hour for my 14 birds.  In a week I've worked at least 2 hours.  An expert makes $20/hour.  Every week I should be paid about $40.  It takes 20 weeks to raise a hen to laying age.  That means in the time it took me to raise the hen to laying age I should have been paid $800.  We still haven't figured in the cost of water or housing, but we'll stop here.  So if we take the $12 in feed and divide the $800 by 14 birds($57.14) each bird is worth $69.14.  Most
people sell their chickens for around $20.  Its well worth paying $20 for laying hens!

So no I won't give you a laying hen for cheap or free.

A little hard work goes a long way.  Chicks are worth about $3 each.  Put in the hard work your self and raise your own laying hens. 

Now don't get me wrong.  If I see a need I'm the first to want to help someone.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't give charity.  Help out a new chicken lover and help them hatch their own chicks!

Elizabeth~

No comments:

Post a Comment